What is CropX/
CropMetrics is a precision agriculture company focused on advanced agronomic solutions while specializing in precision irrigation management. Our mission is to develop and supply precision management technology solutions that increase water, nutrient and energy use efficiency while fostering natural resource conservation.
CropMetrics is a leader in Precision Irrigation Management with the introduction of the first commercially available full-service Variable Rate Irrigation program. CropMetrics continues it’s pursuit in innovation and strives to deliver ultimate value to the grower customer.
The seamless integration of these unique offerings provides the framework for large-scale, data-driven, precision agronomic services that are readily marketed and supported by professional trained Precision Data Specialists.
Precision Data Specialist
Precision agricultural management is a systems approach and CropMetrics believes that one of the most integral pieces to the overall solution is local agronomy support.
I can capture and analyze all the individual field data layers of every field so that I can provide data based agronomic solutions on a field by field, acre by acre basis. My focus as a PDS starts with managing the water since water is always our biggest yield limiting factor. I then use our proprietary software to develop other input prescriptions to further enhance the net return of every acre. I am your link to processing, storing and delivering high quality data year in and year out. Besides the unique and highly advanced software, I use capacitance moisture probes, remote pivot controllers, electrical conductivity mapping, zone variable fertility maps, seeding prescriptions, RTK topography maps, satellite and UAV imaging, and yield maps to build water focused solutions that will maximize the return on every acre of every field. Give me a call for more information on how I can do this for you.
What is Soil EC(Electrical Conductivity)?
Soil EC is an infield measurement that correlates directly with the very soil properties that affect crop productivity such as soil texture, cation exchange capacity (CEC), drainage conditions, organic matter levels, salinity and subsoil characteristics.
Soil EC is typically collected using either an electromagnetic (EM) sensor or a Veris EC system. Soil EC mapping measures bulk soil electrical conductivity that varies by the underlying soil
particle composition (amount of sand, silts and clays), thus correlating strongly to soil particle size and texture.
Why should you Soil ECmap your fields?
Provides base data layer for all your Precision Ag program needs:
- Soil EC is one of the simplest and lowest cost solutions available today to precisely characterize soil variability in your fields.
- Soil EC relates to specific soil properties affecting crop yield and production including: – Water Holding Capacity; – Top Soil Depth; – Subsoil Constraints; – Salt Concentrations.
- Soil EC accurately correlates, identifies and explains yield variability.
Improves upon older and less precise NRCS soil type maps:
- Soil EC maps provide high resolution, finely detailed, spatial information that identifies variability within NRCS soil type map zones.
Is Soil ECmapping worth the low cost investment?
- Variable Rate Irrigation – Soil EC helps increase energy and water use efficiency while improving crop yields and maximizing Precision Ag opportunities. Without Soil ECyou can really only approximate the true extent of your field’s variability.
- Variable Rate Seeding and Nitrogen – Soil EC helps insure you optimally apply these vital crop inputs in the correct locations. With rising input costs and higher yield demands, precision applications are more important than ever.
- Optimum Soil Moisture Probe Locations – Soil EC accurately identifies your field’s majority soil type to provide more precise irrigation scheduling recommendations and maximize overall profit.
Full-service soil moisture monitoring program. From the leaders in precision irrigation management!
There is no question that water conservation is one of the most important factors effecting today’s agricultural industry. Improving crop water use efficiency through advanced technology will not only improve your bottom line, but also help preserve our most valuable resource for generations to come.
A 3-year “Quantify the Value” study of soil moisture monitoring performed by Fontanelle Hybrids proved an average water savings of 2 inches per acre in addition to a reduction in energy costs and a yield improvement of nearly 6 bu/ac per moisture probe.
The CropMetrics Soil Moisture Monitoring Program was developed to simplify and improve irrigation management for growers first and foremost. Powered by the Virtual Optimizer precision irrigation web portal, soil moisture data is delivered wirelessly to an easy to use website with optional text and email alerts. Most importantly, CropMetrics is dedicated to providing the highest quality in-season support through locally trained Precision Data Specialists. No other program can assure this much value for your investment! Then utilizing a systems approach, only CropMetrics can add the most advanced Variable Rate Irrigation solution on the market today for the ULTIMATE ADVANTAGE in Precision Irrigation Management!
Value and Benefits of Soil EC Mapping
What is soil Electric Conductivity (EC)?
Soil electrical conductivity (EC) is a measurement that correlates with soil properties that affect crop productivity, including soil texture, cation exchange capacity (CEC), drainage conditions, organic matter level, salinity, and subsoil characteristics.
EC can be collected using either an Electromagnetic (EM) sensor or a Veris system. EC measures the bulk soil conductivity and varies by the soil particle composition (amount of sand, silts, and clays), thus correlating strongly to soil particle size and texture.
Why should YOU EC map YOUR fields?
• What do you start with as a BASE layer for your precision ag program?
> Soil EC is one of the simplest and lowest cost solutions available today to measure and characterize the soil variability in your fields. Value and Benefits of Soil EC Mapping
> Soil EC relates to specific soil properties affecting crop yield and production:
• Water Holding Capacity
• Top Soil Depth
• Subsoil Constraints
• Salt concentrations
> Soil EC can correlate, identify, and explain yield variability.
• Why do you need an EC map if you have the NRCS soil type map?
> Soil EC maps provide a higher resolution, finer detailed data layer that will identify variability within NRCS soil type zones.
The top right image shows the NRCS soil breaks overlaid an EC map. The image on the bottom right is a corn yield map. Which soil map would you prefer to make management decisions with?
Is EC mapping worth the investment?
• Variable Rate Irrigation – without EC, you’re only guessing. Increase water use efficiency, improve yields, maximize your precision ag opportunities.
• Variable Rate Seeding and Nitrogen – can you be sure you are placing these important inputs in the correct location without EC? With rising input costs, precision is more important than ever.
• Optimal Moisture Probe Location – EC will more accurately identify the majority soil type to improve your irrigation scheduling recommendation and maximize profit.
• One time investment will provide payback for years to come……..